As used in these Terms, "Southern Star Scientific" means:
(a) Southern Star Scientific is a DBA name for Southern Star Products LLC, a USA registered company with registered address Oro Valley Arizona 85755
Southern Star Scientific provides scientific products for scientific research applications. The only personal data we process is the personal data provided to Southern Star Scientific as part of a sales transaction when the customer purchased our products.
1.1. "Controller" means an entity that determines the purposes and means of the Processing of Personal Data.
1.2. "Customer" means a person or entity that is registered with Southern Star Scientific as a customer who has enquired about our products or who has purchased our products.
1.3. "Data Protection Laws" means all data protection and privacy laws and regulations of the USA, EU, EEA, and their member states, Switzerland and the United Kingdom, applicable to the Processing of Personal Data.
1.4. "GDPR" means (a) the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the Processing of Personal Data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation), and (b) the United Kingdom General Data Protection Regulation.
1.5. "Personal Data" means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person.
1.6. "Processing" means any operation or set of operations which is performed upon Personal Data, whether or not by automatic means, such as collection, recording, organization, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, blocking, erasure or destruction. "Process", "Processes" and "Processed" shall be interpreted accordingly.
1.7. "Processor" means a natural or legal person, public authority, agency, or any other body which Processes Personal Data on behalf of the Controller.
1.9. “We”, “us”, and “our” refer to the Southern Star Scientific.
1.10. "You," "your," and "yours" refer to the customer.
2. Data Processing
2.2. Performance of a contract: by utilizing or accessing our platform, you expressly acknowledge our Processing of your Personal Data in compliance with applicable Data Protection Laws. The Processing of your Personal Data is grounded on the legal basis of contract performance between you and Southern Star Scientific. We collect and process your Personal Data to deliver the requested products, meet our contractual obligations, and ensure the seamless purchase and transfer of our products to you the customer.
3. What information we Process
Southern Star Scientific collects both “Personal Data” and “Non-Personal Data” about you and will Process this data:
3.1. Personal Data:
- Customers' information: identification and contact data (name, contact details); billing information (billing address, payment information); organization information (name, address, geographic location, area of responsibility, VAT code),
- Subscribers' information: email address and any other additional information that Customer provides to Southern Star Scientific.
- Account information including your username, password, security questions
- Shopping information including the items you view, put in your cart or add to your wishlist at Shopfy
- Customer support information including the information you choose to include in communications with us for example when sending a message through the Services section of Shopify
3.1.1. At any time, you may request that we change this information. Some of the Personal Data we ask you to provide, for example, your email address is mandatory for us to provide you with services or changes to your user manual. If you decline to provide it, we may not be able to provide that service to you.
4. Purposes of Processing
4.1. Southern Star Scientific uses collected information for the operation of our Customer Service, to maintain the quality of the Service, to provide customer support and send information about the Services, to protect the rights and safety of Customers, Subscribers, third-parties and our own, to send customized informational or promotional content and provide suggestions according to marketing preferences, to ensure observance of our TOU and meet the legal requirements, to verify identity and provided information, manage payments, to understand demographics, Customer interests and needs, and other trends among users, and for other business purposes.
4.3. Other ways we may share your information in order to ensure you receive the services you expect:
- With business and marketing partners, including Shopify, the provider of our online store who may use the information to provide services and advertise to you. Our business and marketing partners will use your information in accordance with their own privacy notices.
- When you direct, request us or otherwise consent to our disclosure of certain information to third parties, such as to ship you products or through your use of social media widgets or login integrations, with your consent.
- With our affiliates or otherwise within our corporate group, in our legitimate interests to run a successful business.
- In connection with a business transaction such as a merger or bankruptcy, to comply with any applicable legal obligations (including to respond to subpoenas, search warrants and similar requests), to enforce any applicable terms of service, and to protect or defend the Services, our rights, and the rights of our users or others.
5. How we collect your information
5.1. Data provided by our Customers: Our Processing of Personal Data is based on the data subject freely provided by customers.
5.2. Tracking technologies: in connection with the performance of the Services, Southern Star Scientific uses:
5.4. Third-party services: we may use third-party services, such as Google Analytics and Facebook, that collect and analyze log data to help us improve Southern Star Scientific. Information We Obtain from Third Parties: We may obtain information about you from third parties, including from vendors and service providers who may collect information on our behalf, such as:
- Companies who support our Site and Services, such as Shopify.
- Our payment processors, who collect payment information (e.g., bank account, credit or debit card information, billing address) to process your payment in order to fulfill your orders and provide you with products or services you have requested, in order to perform our contract with you.
- When you visit our Site, open or click on emails we send you, or interact with our Services or advertisements, we, or third parties we work with, may automatically collect certain information using online tracking technologies such as pixels, web beacons, software developer kits, third-party libraries, and cookies.
5.5. Based on the requirements of the California Online Privacy Protection Act, Southern Star Scientific declares that it does not correspond to Do Not Track browser signals.
6. Transferring to third-party companies
6.1. We will never sell, rent, or lease your Personal Data to a third party company.
6.2. We may disclose Non-Personal Data for any purpose because this information cannot be used to identify you or another person.
6.3. We do not use or disclose sensitive personal information for the purposes of inferring characteristics about you.
7. Email communications & opting out
7.1. From time to time you may receive emails related to your use of Southern Star Scientific products, Based on the Personal Data that you provide us but only if we have your consent. We may communicate with you in response to your inquiries to provide the information you request. If we have your consent we may also use your Personal Data to send you updates and other promotional communications. Every email will contain a link to be able to opt-out of receiving it. Only on rare occasions we may still send important messages regarding administrative matters, updates, disputes, and customer service issues that are required to keep you fully informed.
7.2. If any customer wishes to ensure he/she never receives any communication from our team, he can unsubscribe by hitting the unsubscribe button on any communication or simply ‘reply’ to an email with one word: unsubscribe. directly from that Customers’ newsletter or contact the Customer directly to update or delete the data.
7.3. Managing Communication Preferences: We may send you promotional emails, and you may opt out of receiving these at any time by using the unsubscribe option displayed in our emails to you. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or orders that you have made.
8. Safety of your information
8.1. Southern Star Scientific takes reasonable precautions, technical and organizational security measures to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risk, follows industry best practices in order to protect your Personal Data from any unauthorized or unlawful breach of security that leads to the accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure of or access to Personal Data and to preserve the security and confidentiality of the data. However, these measures do not guarantee that your information will not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of such precautions. In addition, any information you send to us may not be secure while in transit. We recommend that you do not use unsecure channels to communicate sensitive or confidential information to us. How long we retain your personal information depends on different factors, such as whether we need the information to maintain your account, to provide the Services, comply with legal obligations, resolve disputes or enforce other applicable contracts and policies.
By purchasing our products, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to assume these risks.
9. Links to other websites
10. Data Processing Addendum
We created our Data Processing Addendum to cover the GDPR requirements as they relate to email marketing.
11. California Consumer Privacy Act
11.1. According to The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) residents of California, United States have specific rights regarding their Personal Data. California consumers have the right to 1) request that businesses disclose information about their collection and use of Personal Data over the past year; 2) ask such businesses to delete Personal Data; 3) opt-out of the sale of their Personal Data.
11.2. Southern Star Scientific in terms of CCPA acts as a product provider and we hold Personal Data on our customers’ behalf. If you wish to request deletion of your Personal Data simply make this request to our staff and it will be done.
12. Other Rights and Choices
Depending on where you live, you may have some or all of the rights listed below in relation to your personal information. However, these rights are not absolute, may apply only in certain circumstances and, in certain cases, we may decline your request as permitted by law. You may have a right to appeal our decision if we decline to process your request. You can do so my replying directly to our denial.
- Right to Access / Know. You may have a right to request access to personal information that we hold about you, including details relating to the ways in which we use and share your information.
- Right to Delete. You may have a right to request that we delete personal information we maintain about you.
- Right to Correct. You may have a right to request that we correct inaccurate personal information we maintain about you.
- Right of Portability. You may have a right to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to request that we transfer it to a third party, in certain circumstances and with certain exceptions.
You may exercise any of these rights where indicated on our Site or by contacting us using the contact details provided below.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of these rights. We may need to collect information from you to verify your identity, such as your email address or account information, before providing a substantive response to the request. In accordance with applicable laws, You may designate an authorized agent to make requests on your behalf to exercise your rights. Before accepting such a request from an agent, we will require that the agent provide proof you have authorized them to act on your behalf, and we may need you to verify your identity directly with us. We will respond to your request in a timely manner as required under applicable law.
13. Merger or acquisition
14. Southern Star Scientific as a Controller
Southern Star Scientific acts as a Controller of Personal Data of its employees, contractors, candidates, affiliates and other third parties that are not considered as a Customer. Southern Star Scientific undertakes to comply with legal requirements when processing Personal Data as a Controller and implements appropriate technical and organizational measures to ensure a level of security of Personal Data as required under GDPR and applicable Data Protection Laws.
16. User Generated Content
The Services may enable you to post product reviews and other user-generated content. If you choose to submit user generated content to any public area of the Services, this content will be public and accessible by anyone.
We do not control who will have access to the information that you choose to make available to others, and cannot ensure that parties who have access to such information will respect your privacy or keep it secure. We are not responsible for the privacy or security of any information that you make publicly available, or for the accuracy, use or misuse of any information that you disclose or receive from third parties.
17. Third Party Websites and Links
Our Site may provide links to websites or other online platforms operated by third parties. If you follow links to sites not affiliated or controlled by us, you should review their privacy and security policies and other terms and conditions. We do not guarantee and are not responsible for the privacy or security of such sites, including the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of information found on these sites. Information you provide on public or semi-public venues, including information you share on third-party social networking platforms may also be viewable by other users of the Services and/or users of those third-party platforms without limitation as to its use by us or by a third party. Our inclusion of such links does not, by itself, imply any endorsement of the content on such platforms or of their owners or operators, except as disclosed on the Services.
18. Children's Data
The Services are not intended to be used by children, and we do not knowingly collect any personal information about children. If you are the parent or guardian of a child who has provided us with their personal information, you may contact us using the contact details set out below to request that it be deleted.
If you have complaints about how we process your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided below. If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, depending on where you live you may have the right to appeal our decision by contacting us using the contact details set out below, or lodge your complaint with your local data protection authority.
20. International Users
Please note that we may transfer, store and process your personal information outside the country you live in, including the United States. Your personal information is also processed by staff and third party service providers and partners in these countries.
If we transfer your personal information out of Europe, we will rely on recognized transfer mechanisms like the European Commission's Standard Contractual Clauses, or any equivalent contracts issued by the relevant competent authority of the UK, as relevant, unless the data transfer is to a country that has been determined to provide an adequate level of protection.
21. Contacting Southern Star Scientific
- would like to request access to the information we hold about you, correct, modify, delete or update Personal Data that you have provided to us, or
Please contact us any time using our contact information found on our website, email@example.com or call toll free 1-833-405-5949.
Last updated December 18, 2023